Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Even #Bookworms can help #EndSlavery



One of the themes explored in my upcoming novel Vessel is slavery. Slavery exists in the dystopian future of the novel, just as it exists now. Yes, that’s right. I said now. Slavery is still going on in 2015, right this very minute, all across the world. Millions of women and children, and even men, are living life in captivity, both physical and economic.


Slavery and human trafficking were on my mind as I wrote the book. I feel very fortunate to have been born into the set of circumstances I was, but many are not so lucky. I would like very much to see slavery end. I’m just one person and I know there’s only such much I can do. If just one Vessel reader is inspired to help make that change, I’ll have done some good. So with that in mind, I’ve decided to donate 25% of my proceeds from the sale of Vessel to the International Justice Mission, an organization devoted to helping free slaves around the world.


If you’re on Twitter, I encourage you to follow them @IJM and support their hashtags #EndSlaveryAct and #stand4freedom . Or visit their website at www.ijm.org and get involved. And when you purchase a copy of Vessel, know that you’re helping too. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.


1 comment:

  1. What's happening in the Mediterranean Sea is very much related to human trafficking and slavery. We need to #EndSlavery now.

    ReplyDelete